bellwetherbookreviews

Bellwether Book Reviews

"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." - Logan Pearsall Smith.

Second Grave on the Left

Second Grave on the Left - Darynda Jones Not as entertaining or as funny the first book, but good enough for me to want to read the next book of the series. My main reason for not giving the book more than three stars is the ending. Her dad put a target on her head because he thought she had a better chance of surviving compared to her step-mom and sister, and she was plenty upset, initially. But as soon as her sister came to her defense all was forgiven and there was a group hug. Seriously? Regardless of whether or not her dad thought she could defend herself, he didn't even warn her about it, and, in all honesty, I would be devastated if my dad chose to save another family member over me. I don't care if I was capable of protecting myself or not. Charlie's character didn't feel like the type of protagonist to let it go so quickly and then share laughs and breakfast with the whole family. Oh, and THEN Charlie binds Reyes' soul to his physical body without ever doing it before. Then in the aftermath of her binding, she acts as though it's not a big revelation, or that what she did wasn't extremely stupid and selfish.

I'm not mad I'm just disappointed. I loved Charlie in book one, but found her lacking a backbone and a conscience in this story.