bellwetherbookreviews

Bellwether Book Reviews

"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." - Logan Pearsall Smith.

Practice Makes Perfect

Practice Makes Perfect - Julie James 4.5 Stars

I've read Julie James's FBI/US Attorney series and the stand alone novel, Just the Sexiest Man Alive, and they've all been solid, entertaining, contemporary romance novels. I haven't decided why Practice Makes Perfect now reigns as my favorite. I think it's because the main characters, Payton and J.D., seemed very realistic, as did their situation. I love romance novels. But, when I read one there's usually comes a point where I have to stop, cringe, and ponder why the author had to over-saturate the book with things like cliche lines and soap opera-esque plot developments. Practice Makes Perfect avoids all of the typical romance novel sensationalism. That especially goes for the ending. I think it was perfect because it was so simple... "Finally." :)

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that it took me a bit to become interested in the story and the characters. After I did, I couldn't stop reading.